Last Monday my day was brightened in the blogging world! Sam from Social by Sam nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. In all honesty, I had never heard of this award previously but was so happy to find out more about it! For those who also haven’t heard of it, the Sunshine Blogger Award basically does what it sounds like, shares the sunshine! Bloggers pass around the award as a way to give updates on ourselves and ask silly and random questions! The rules of the Sunshine Blogger Award are you thank your nominator, answer their questions, pick 3 new nominees, and ask them the same number of questions!
So thank you Sam for the nomination! Here go my answers to the questions she asked me!
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started All Shook Up as a creative outlet to fill my time while I was unemployed, living at home, and searching for a job after I graduated in May 2014. I was an English major in college so this blog allows me to do what I love, read and write! Although I found a job last September (my one year anniversary at my job was just last week!) I have continued blogging because it has been a fun hobby to do outside the office.
2. Who is your pop culture role model and why?
This is a tough question, as I don’t think I typically look up to celebrities as “role models” per se. However, recently I have been reading more and more articles about one of my favorite celebrities, Lauren Conrad. I think Lauren is actually an incredible role model. She went from an MTV Reality Show Princess to Fashion Designer and Lifestyle Icon. She proved that the nice girl can finish first, with a little hard work and kindness! Lauren is relatable in a way that is unlike most other celebrities. Also, who can forget her infamous response to the question, “What’s your favorite position?” “CEO.” Lauren Conrad is a pop culture role model that I think every girl should take notes from!
3. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve overcome in the last year?
This year has been filled to the brim with challenges but one of the biggest ones has been a health concern. I have been trying to track down a solution to my problem for months and I think I am finally in the hands of the right doctors. I think the biggest challenge has been trusting my gut that something wasn’t right, both with my health and that the original doctor I was seeing was wrong. The last few months have been filled with frustration and challenges I never imagined I would be facing my first year out of college. That being said, I am incredibly thankful to my family for their unending support. I know that there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
4. What’s something you’re really excited about?
I think in the short term I am REALLY excited about my cousin Lori’s wedding next week. She is marrying a truly wonderful man. I swear they are perfect for one another. It will be such a fun weekend with my family celebrating this union. I also cannot wait to meet my cousin Michelle’s daughter Julia. I was at Michelle’s Baby Shower last summer, but haven’t met the little cutie pie in person yet!
In the long term, this might sound weird but I am really excited about the months to come in New York City. I love the security that I feel, whereas before everything was so up in the air (job, apartment, friends, etc.) I am in a new apartment which I will be in until at least August 2016 and I am at a job where a lot of exciting changes are up ahead. I think I am most excited about feeling less like I am in a constant shuffle. A lot of the questions I had last summer in the months following graduation, I finally have answers to! I definitely do not have all the answers because I am always on to the next, but I think it is crazy to think about one year ago and reflect on all the changes. I always try to keep in mind that some of the best days of my life are yet to come. Isn’t that a crazy wonderful thought?!
5. Where’s the next spot you’ll travel to given the opportunity?
This is a tough one because I am constantly adding new places to my list of dream travel destinations. I think Paris will always top the list though. I studied French throughout middle school, high school, and briefly in college. I originally wanted to study abroad in Paris, but my school did not have a program in my preferred city (not that I regret studying abroad in Sydney, Australia, it was the most AMAZING experience!). That being said, I think Paris will always hold a special place in my heart.
Okay now it’s my turn! My nominees for the Sunshine Blogger Award are:
- Why Knot – Allie is also young grad, who is starting her next adventure at grad school in Oregon. I stumbled upon her blog randomly and have kept coming back ever since. I love reading about other recent graduates who are navigating the “real world.”
- The Lilac Press – I found The Lilac Press after she commented on one of my posts and was immediately taken with her site. I am always so impressed by the amount of unique and interesting content she creates. A great read for fashion, lifestyle, and simply beautiful images!
- The Preppy Scientist – Because you can never read too many preppy blogs! I started following Shontal’s blog pretty quickly after I started All Shook Up. I love her fashion picks and her interesting finds! It is a blog that always keeps me enticed with refreshing new content.
My questions for the nominees, if they choose to participate, are:
- What is one thing you wish you knew about blogging before you started?
- What is your go to look when you have no idea what to wear?
- What is the best piece of advice you’ve received?
- Where do you see yourself one year from now?
- What is a random fact about yourself that your readers don’t know?
I love posts like this that spread a little sunshine! I hope my answers to Sam’s questions gave you a different peek into my world as of late. I cannot wait to see if my nominees accept this award and nominate their own sunshine bloggers!