It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving (or the day before Thanksgiving!) without a post on thankfulness! Although a few days off from work and delicious food make for a great break, this holiday is about so much more! Every year my family spends time with our cousins and it is nice to reflect on all that we are each working towards and talk about what we are thankful for. So in honor of this special holiday, I decided to list the different things I am most thankful for…
- Family – We make up quite an interesting group of personalities, but somehow we all fit perfectly together. I am thankful for their love and support, and oftentimes necessary tough love. I do not know where I would be without these people by my side.
- Good health – Over the last year a few of my family members experienced scary health concerns. Each of them has been healing and working towards healthier lives, so they can stick around with the rest of us crazies a lot longer. I am thankful that they made it through and are working towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Little brother – Andy has really embraced college life, getting involved, making friends, and figuring out who the heck he is. I am so proud of what he has accomplished so far and cannot wait to see what he does over the next few years.
- Incredible job – I am SO thankful for my job. I am blessed to have found a position where I am constantly learning and excited to go to the office everyday. Each week I find myself better adjusting to my new routine and I cannot wait for what is to come!
- Friends – Cliché but true, I am so thankful for my companions in life. The last few months of transitioning from college to post grad life have not always been easy, but having amazing people by your side makes everything better. I am lucky to have such supportive and driven friends who are always there for me (and vice versa!), no matter the distance!
- Education – As a post grad I find that I am increasingly thankful for my incredible education. Even though I love my job, I do miss those small classroom discussions that went on for hours over Jane Austen novels and Alfred Hitchcock films.
- Good Books – Ones that take me away, and make me forget that I am on a train commuting into work each day.
- Opportunities – I am thankful for all the different opportunities I have had, and the ones that I am chasing after. Life would not be nearly as interesting without all the different paths we can take in life!
- Rejection – On the opposite side, I am thankful for rejection. Every rejection I have faced has forced me to work that much harder, and has made me a stronger person.
- Kindness – Those little moments, holding a door open, receiving a heartfelt note, and countless hugs, I am incredibly thankful for these simple but kind acts.
As always, Oprah is right, being thankful for these things gives me SO much more than I could ever imagine. Sometimes we all need to step back and reflect on the blessings in our lives, rather than what we think is “missing.” If you constantly think about what you believe you do not have, you will be in a never-ending chase to achieve these supposed losses. I am thankful for my life, my health, and all the wonderful things that make up my day to day.
I hope that this quote provides a helpful reminder to you that this life is made up of incredible things, each of which we should be thankful for!